Though the concept of self-care has been around since the time of ancient Greece, it has become entrenched in our culture in the past few years. Of course, skin care is one component of self-care, and by now most of us realize how good skin care benefits us throughout our life. Whether it’s moisturizing, cleansing, using sun protection, or staying hydrated, we know that keeping our skin healthy is largely our responsibility. Let’s talk about facials! Getting a facial is considered a treat for many of us, not a necessity, but facials are helpful with more than one aspect of self-care. At Vitalogy Skincare, we often get questions about facials and what they can do for you.
A facial is composed of a set of treatments that often include steam, exfoliation, extraction, creams, masks, peels, and a massage. Facials cleanse, exfoliate and nourish your skin, giving you a clearer, more hydrated complexion. As a plus, the treatment is extremely relaxing.
To enhance or address specific skin concerns, other treatments can be added to a facial. Choosing the best treatment experience depends on your skin type and skin conditions. Your Licensed Aesthetician will work with you to ensure your goals are met while providing you with the best options.
Benefits of a Professional Facial
Being able to tailor it to your specific skin type and needs. The first thing that your Aesthetician will do is analyze your skin, so the products and tools used are suited to you. At Vitalogy Skincare, our clinical facials soften your outer skin layers and promote cellular turnover, giving your skin nourishment and rejuvenation. Other benefits include:
- It can help with concerns such as acne, dry skin, aging skin, discoloration, and dull skin.
- Provides a deep cleanse by using different techniques such as steam and exfoliation which remove dirt, oil, and dead skin cells to maintain healthier skin.
- Safely extracts blackheads and whiteheads, without causing damage to your skin.
- Increases the absorption efficacy of your products by improving the texture of your skin.
- Improves circulation as well as the growth of collagen.
- It is great for stress relief.
Types of Facials
There are a wide variety of facials available out there, and what you should always keep in mind when selecting one, is what benefits it’s going to bring to your unique skin.
A classic facial consists of:
- Cleansing – any makeup is removed, and your skin is cleansed to remove impurities.
- Steam – helps to open your pores so your skin is thoroughly cleaned.
- Exfoliation – removes dead skin cells from the surface of your skin as well as dirt from your pores, evening out your skin.
- Extractions – if your skin requires them, once the steam and exfoliation soften and open your pores, it is easier to manipulate the skin so that whiteheads and blackheads can be extracted without damaging your skin.
- Massage – used to stimulate your skin, improve circulation, and promote healthy skin growth.
- Mask – can be applied after extractions. It is chosen for your specific skin type.
- Moisturize – product is once again chosen for your specific skin type to bring hydration to your newly cleansed skin.
At Vitalogy Skincare, you can also choose a Decongesting Facial which follows the same process as a classic facial but focuses on unclogging pores. Dirt, debris, and dead skin cells can block pores causing blemishes and blackheads. Another option is a Microdermabrasion Facial which uses a handheld device with an abrasive surface that gently “sands” away the outer layer of your skin, improving bumps, lesions, and acne scars, creating a smoother skin texture.
How often should you get a facial?
Depending on the type of facial that you choose, the relaxing experience takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
Your skin is constantly changing, regenerating, and dying. The skin cell turnover takes about 28 days and depending on your age, it may take longer. Dermatology experts recommend that you get a facial once a month to take advantage of this cycle. If your time only allows for the occasional facial, getting one four times a year, with the changing of the seasons, can also be very beneficial.
Who Should Get a Facial?
The great thing about facials is that they are advantageous for anyone, and yes, that includes men. Once your Aesthetician looks at your skin, the products and techniques used will be geared to your specific needs. This is why they work for all kinds of skin types.
Sensitive Skin – it is best to avoid exfoliating your skin if it is sensitive. The type of products used on your skin will be selected to avoid any irritation, while still nourishing your skin.
Normal to Dry Skin – a moisturizing mask or a hydrating serum would be a great addition to your facial.
Oily Skin – facial will focus on deep cleansing and extraction, and perhaps a mask that removes excess oils and shrinks pores without over-drying your skin. Any products with added oils will be avoided.
Combination Skin – dealing with both oily and dry skin, your facial will moisturize your dry areas while making sure your oily areas are treated appropriately.
Men’s Skin – facials can help with razor burn, ingrown hairs, and dull skin.
If you are dealing with a skin condition such as rosacea or eczema, discuss it with your Aesthetician to avoid any techniques and products that could cause a flare-up. Let them know ahead of time if you have allergies to certain products or ingredients.
Things You Should Do After a Facial
There are a few things that might help keep your skin refreshed after a facial treatment. Avoid putting on makeup or other facial products for a few hours after your treatment. Let your skin breathe for a little bit. You also want to avoid being out in the sun, using a tanning bed, a sauna, or any direct heat for 48 hours. Avoid picking at your face or scrubbing it since this will irritate it.
Skin care is a daily part of our lives. Maintaining a good skin care routine will not only prolong the benefits of your facial but give you healthier skin in the long run. Cleanse, moisturize, and protect your skin with an effective sunblock.
At Vitalogy Skincare, we are happy to answer any of your questions. It is important to us to provide you with the best dermatological care in the Austin area. If you are interested in facials, book an appointment online for any of our locations.